Stop with the “click here” non-sense!
Although it is overly simple way to insert a website link, using the words “click here” as your link text (also known as “anchor text”) has significant disadvantages from both an SEO and usability perspective. It is a well known fact that search engines use your link text – among other things – to better understand the theme or topic associated with your page or site. From a usability standpoint, why wouldn’t you provide your users with better context concerning the theme or topic associated with that link?
Here are some simple guidelines to give your search rankings a boost and provide your visitors with the context they crave:
- Meaning – Use meaningful keywords or keyword phrases that are related to the theme of the link
- Context – Use descriptive text that provides additional information when read out of context
What you should do next
- Search for Click Here: Identify all links within your site for any “click here” phrases. If you don’t have a search feature on your site, use Google to find occurrences by simply entering “site:yourdomain.com” before “click here”. For example, type the following in the Google search field: “site:neotechnics.com click here”
- Identify and Replace the Anchor Text: Determine whether you can replace the anchor text with more relevant keywords or keyword phrases.
- Review Surrounding Content: Don’t forget to not only use keywords in the anchor texts themselves, but also surround the links with keywords and their synonyms.
- Bonus Tip: For external links, make sure you set the target of those links in a new browser window (use the target=”_blank” attribute for the link). Why point people away from your site completely? Keep your site open while they temporarily leave your site to view additional information related to theme that you are discussing.
- Quality Assurance Tips for Webmasters – http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere
- Moz Blog – http://moz.com/learn/seo/anchor-text
- WordStream Blog – http://www.wordstream.com/anchor-text
If you need help improving your website search rankings, contact Neotechnics for a free assessment.